KS4 Subject Information for Parents / Students
Please see below some information about the course covered during Key Stage 4. You will also find more information about the knowledge and skills covered booklet in a hyperlink below. During each half-term your child will have regular ‘learning checks’ to assess how well they are progressing against the expected standards. If they do not reach the expected standard in any of these checks, they should be seeking help from their teacher regarding the best possible steps. Teachers will also be sharing with students examples of how to go ‘beyond the expected standards ‘and providing additional challenge.
• Component 1: Technique and photographer based workshops to build appropriate skills around a given theme. Students explore digital, film and hand manipulation methods, as well as developing analysis skills, looking at contextual links. This is monitored and assessed throughout the year, in line with AQA assessment criteria.
• Component 1: Portfolio of work based on a given theme, covering a variety of skills and techniques. This is monitored and assessed throughout the year, in line with AQA assessment criteria.
• Component 1: Mock externally set assignment. Students will select a topic from a past exam paper and create a portfolio of work and final piece to prepare them for the forthcoming externally set assignment. This is monitored and assessed in line with the AQA assessment criteria.
• Students must submit a minimum of two projects completed during the course.
• Component 2: Externally set assignment. Issued from January during the year of examination for a preparatory period. This involves creating a sketchbook that covers all of the assessment objectives, concluding with 10 hours of unaided focused study, under supervision (examination conditions), during which students will produce their final piece.